Dear Reception Parents,
Welcome back to a new school year and ‘Welcome to Oystermouth’ to new parents and children! I hope you have all had a lovely summer break.
Throughout the year, I will be uploading all letters and information onto the class dojo page and will also send out reminder texts. Please check your child’s own portfolio to see what they have been up to in school and our class story. Only parents have access to the class story photos but please let me know if you do not want your child’s photo on here. All of the Reception staff will be uploading onto dojo as often as we can so you can enjoy seeing what your child has been up to in school! Please let me know if you haven’t had a sign up letter for dojo or if you need a replacement one.
Our topic for the first half term is ‘What is in our square mile?’ We will be learning all about Mumbles and our local area. During our transition morning before the summer holidays, the children decided on having a Joe’s ice cream role play area. If you have any connections with local shops/places to visit, work in the village or have a special interest in something linked to Mumbles please let me know as we would love to have you in class.
I am extremely keen to take the children out as much as possible to do some forest school activities/local visits. However, we will need volunteers to be able to do so. Please let me know if you are available once a week or fortnight on a specific day to help out with this.
Things you need to know:
- PE session will be on a Thursday afternoon – please can the children come into school in trainers and PE kit every Thursday (plain white t-shirt, navy or black shorts/joggers/leggings depending on weather)
- Break time fruit – if your child would like to bring in a piece of fruit for break time please label it with their name. There will be a fruit box in the classroom.
- Water bottle- your child is welcome to bring in their own water bottle (labelled with name on) which will be kept in class for the children to access whenever they wish
- Outdoor learning- the children will be using the Foundation Phase outdoor learning area most days, please send your child in with a coat with their names on
- Homework – the children will receive a homework menu every term in their homework books. This will be their only homework unless I think they need some more practise with a certain skill we have been learning in class. The tasks are designed to encourage your child to have more control over their homework and does not need to be returned until the end of term. It also allows you to schedule the work around your family commitments.
- Reading books- the children will bring home one book every week on a Friday. Up until at least October half term, we will be sending home story books for you to share with your child. Please return your child’s book by Wednesday so we can change them and send a new one home on the Friday.
- ‘Tedi Twt’- at some point throughout the year, your child will bring home our class mascot for a holiday! Tedi Twt comes with his own backpack and Welsh activities! He will be sent home on a Friday and will need to be returned by Wednesday so that he can be washed!
Apologies for such a lengthy first letter – hopefully I haven’t missed anything out! Any questions about the above, please message me on class dojo and I will get back to you as soon as possible.