The Four Purposes
The Four purposes will be at the heart of our new curriculum. They will be the starting point for all decisions on the content and experiences developed as part of the curriculum.
The purpose of the New Curriculum at Oystermouth Primary School is to support our children and young people to be:
- Ambitious and capable learners who are ready to learn throughout their lives
This means they believe in themselves and what they can do. They want to learn and do better. They have the skills to learn.
- Enterprising and creative contributors who are ready to play a full part in life and work
This means they can be creative and think of new ideas. They can solve problems and they can use this in their work.
- Ethical and informed citizens of Wales and the world
This means they understand their rights and responsibilities. They take part in their community and they care about the world.
- Healthy and confident individuals who are ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society
This means they have healthy minds and bodies. They feel good about themselves and what they believe in.
To help the children across the school to understand what the Four Purposes mean, we asked the KS2 children to design characters to represent each of the purposes. The winner entries from each class were then used to create the Oyster family.
Ambitious Ava Creative Cara Ethical Ed Healthy Henry
The New Curriculum will include:
- 6 Areas of Learning and Experience from 3 to 16.
- Progression reference points at ages 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16.
- Achievement outcomes which describe expected achievements at each progression reference point.
- 3 Cross Curriculum Responsibilities: Literacy, Numeracy and Digital Competence.
Areas of Learning and Experience
The New Curriculum will be organised into six ‘Areas of Learning and Experience (AoLE’s). These replace the subject areas which were used previously.
Click on the link below to find out more about the New Curriculum for Wales.
Click the links below to read a New Curriculum Guide for Children, Young People and Families.
Click on the links below to see our New Curriculum Journey at Oystermouth.